Like a Humming Bird

"Once upon a time a terrible fire broke down out in a forest. A huge woodland was suddenly engulfed by a raging fire.  Frightened all the animals fled their homes and ran out of the forest. As they came to edge of a stream they stopped to watch the fire and felt very helpless and powerless.Everyone thought they could do nothing about the fire except - the little hummingbird!.

This particular Humming bird decided it  would do something. It swooped into a stream and  picked a few drops of water in her petite beak, went to the forest and put onto the fire. Went back to the stream and did it again and kept going back , again and again. All the other animals watched some in disbelief some in amazement. Some uttered - Why is she bothering? How can she even dream it will help?
Other said to her- You are too little humming bird, Even we are helpless before this massive fire rage.  Your beak is too tiny . Your wings may burn. With only a drop you can't put out this fire.  None of us can!

And as the animals stood around disparaging the little bird’s efforts, the bird notices how helpless and hopeless they looked. Then one of the animals shouted and challenged the humming bird in a mocking voice, “What do you think you are doing?”.

And the humming bird, without wasting a time or loosing a beat looked back and said - “I am doing the best I can.” ""


As i read this story often told by Wangari Maathai- founder of the Green Belt Movement and first African Noble Peace Prize Winner,I was touched. I was shaken because it somehow rekindled the desires within me to make a difference on this planet which were somewhere set aback by conventional notions. When I was young , whenever I saw a pauper on the railway station, I used to tell myself-- the day I become big, I can change his Life!!


In India, by 1857, the britishers had captured Most of the parts of India. While most of the Kings surrendered feeling helpless and hopeless,Lakshmibai chose  to fight.  She fought and she fought bravely.

41 year old Huang, lost his arms in a terrible electric shock accident. But this didn’t stop him from following his dreams. He now paints with a brush in his mouth.

83 year old travels from Bali to Kolkata to sell fries. After Lung Cancer took her son away 5 years ago, to make ends meet, at age of 77 she started making fries and selling them.

Don’t these people share the same spirit of the humming bird? So what, if they are not extuingishing a fire somewhere, they are doing the best they can!


So what if I am not so young to start my life on a new way from before? So what if too young to start anything on my own? So what If you are a middle aged man with responsibilites of family? If I do the best I can, Can't I make a difference?


And here goes another story which reaffirmed my new beliefs.

There was a man taking a morning walk at or the beach. He saw that along with the morning tide came hundreds of starfish and when the tide receded, they were left behind and with the morning sun rays, they would die. The tide was fresh and the starfish were alive. The man took a few steps, picked one and threw it into the water. He did that repeatedly. Right behind him there was another person who couldn't understand what this man was doing. He caught up with him and asked, "What are you doing? There are hundreds of starfish. How many can you help? What difference does it make?" This man did not reply, took two more steps, picked up another one, threw it into the water, and said, "It makes a difference to this one."



The difference I can make is  to teach  an illiterate kid of my maid who comes along...or  starting an initiative with my friends for teaching a few kids of a small village. What if I can’t open an NGO while running a whole organization of 3 people in my family, the best I can do is - ask any of them - Can I be of any service in your good cause??

What if I can’t travel far or go to fields, the best I can do start with my own community! And what if I can’t convince my whole community to come together for a cause, I can make a difference from my home by not throwing the chewing gum wrapper on the road!

What if I am alone, I will do the Best I can and someday I will be like the humming bird!